Re: org-export raises stringp nil error

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: org-export raises stringp nil error
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2013 15:12:55 +0400

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: address@hidden
>> Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2013 10:15:07 +0100
>> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden,
>>      Leo Liu <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>>
>> - Emacs "trunk" could be stripped of all but the bare essentials to
>> achieve bootstrap.
>> - distribution tarballs could be made from trunk+elpa.
>>
>> Since I dont do releases for Emacs I dont get to have an opinion on the
>> matter, but if pressed, I would say this idea has considerable merit.
>
> It also has at least one demerits: people who track the trunk will not
> necessarily use the revisions of packages from elpa that will be
> included in Emacs tarballs.  That will probably mean longer and more
> painful pretests, and some of the advantages of having a publicly
> accessible development trunk will be lost.

On the other hand, people using older-but-still-supported versions of
Emacs will be able to help test the new versions of packages in ELPA.

Considering the total Emacs userbase is huge, this could be a great
benefit, and hey, if a problem in org-mode is found just before Emacs
release, it would either be completely org-mode team's problem (if it's
not bundled with Emacs), or Emacs could bundle the last stable version
without the regression. As long as Org is in the same tree, doing this
kind of trick is much harder.