Re: Loading souce Elisp faster

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: Loading souce Elisp faster
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 13:49:31 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, David Engster <address@hidden> writes:

> I actually tried that, but it took *longer* with the "coding: utf-8;"
> comment, which is why I thought that this is apparently not working and
> some additional changes are needed first.

> Here's what I tried: I took files.el from emacs/lisp and copied it to
> files_utf8.el and added the "coding" comment there. Then I used this:

Perhaps that's because files.el is ascii only.  Without
coding tag, emacs detects that the contents is ascii only,
and does short cut.  If utf-8 is specified, emacs skips
detection, but does code conversion while verifying bytes
are in valid utf-8, and this step involves convering bytes
to charater array (int charbuf[CHARBUF_SIZE]), and inserting
each character in charbuf into a buffer.  That step may take
longer time than detection step.

Please try with a coding tag raw-text-unix instead of utf-8.

I think it's not that difficult to improve the current code
in coding.c to make utf-8 decoding/encoding firster.

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden