Re: Loading souce Elisp faster

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Loading souce Elisp faster
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 10:41:52 -0800

On 02/25/13 07:39, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> AFAIR, some (a small number, perhaps) of them cannot be converted,
> because they use characters that we don't unify.

Thanks for bringing this up.  I'll check for this before converting
the Emacs source code to UTF-8.  Files that can't be converted,
I'll leave in their existing coding system, but I'll move the
"coding: WHATEVER" tag to the front as that's more convenient
for processing.

> converting the files that come with Emacs will still
> leave us with gobs of files in external packages, and also with user
> .emacs files.

Absolutely.  We should support those files somehow.
Still, Emacs itself should set a good example, and these
days UTF-8 is the way to go unless there's a good reason
otherwise.