Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r111746: * files.el (basic-save-buffer): Offer

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r111746: * files.el (basic-save-buffer): Offer to create a non-existing directory.
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 14:27:59 -0500

> I often use C-x s to save all buffers, I would find it
> more convenient to be asked for the creation of the dir
> when finding the file.

I'm not opposed to it on principles, but I think that the default
behavior should not do it, so as to minimize the risk that find-file
ends up prompting in a context where the user is absent or doesn't even
know that a file needs to be opened (internal uses of find-file-noselect).

> Also right now, when finding a file in a non-existing
> dir, the user is taught how to create the directory...
> which seems a bit redundant with the fact that he will
> be asked to create the dir anyway.

It's still meaningful in that it warns the user that maybe the name he
provided was wrong, or that at the dir has not yet been created.

        Stefan