Re: Repairing the elpa branch

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Repairing the elpa branch
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 23:11:35 -0500

> As an experiment, I created a new branch `bzrtest'.
> This is `elpa', but with the problematic r170 done as a flat commit
> rather than a merge.
> In fact, all merges post r170 (r279, 263, 247, 246, 239, 231, 180, 171)
> are flat commits rather than merges.  If capturing those merges is
> considered important (it probably is), and if this experiment is
> considered worth pursuing, I can try to do that.

I think capturing those merges is important.
And the r170 merge is not special, IIUC.  It was just the first such
merges, so if you replace it with a flat commit, the next merge will
turn into the source of the problem.

> Commits have the same authors, timestamps, logs, tags, and fixes
> information.

Yes, but subsequent syncs with upstream are made more difficult if you
use flat commits.

        Stefan