Re: How to debug Error during redisplay

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: How to debug Error during redisplay
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 11:43:06 +0200

> From: Leo Liu <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 13:25:10 +0800
>
> >> So this is triggered by animate-string which slime uses. Weirdly, the
> >> same code doesn't have this error in 24.2.
> >
> > Which code is that? can you show it?  Or does any use of
> > animate-string trigger these messages?
>
> I mean the slime package, the same one running in 24.2 and 24.2.92.

I downloaded the current snapshot of slime from
http://common-lisp.net/project/slime/.  Is this the package you are
talking about?  The only *.el file that calls animate-string there is
slime-banner.el:

  (defun slime-startup-message ()
    (when slime-header-line-p
      (setq header-line-format
            (format "%s  Port: %s  Pid: %s"
                    (slime-lisp-implementation-type)
                    (slime-connection-port (slime-connection))
                    (slime-pid))))
    (when (zerop (buffer-size))
      (let ((welcome (concat "; SLIME " (or (slime-changelog-date)
                                            "- ChangeLog file not found"))))
        (if slime-startup-animation
            (animate-string welcome 0 0)
          (insert welcome)))))

Is this the code that produced the redisplay error messages?  If so, I
cannot reproduce this on my machine.  If this isn't the code in
question, then please show a minimal code snippet using animate-string
that does reproduce the problem.  (It isn't right to let me guess like
this, if you want the problem solved any time soon.)

> It seems to me that in 24.2.92, the code is able to continue without
> waiting for animate-string to finish. It feels more responsive.

I don't see how that could be true, but maybe I'm missing something.
In any case, is this a separate problem?