Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/emacs-24 r111150: Merge Org (commit c8c217)

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/emacs-24 r111150: Merge Org (commit c8c217)
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2013 23:06:18 +0100

Hi Glenn,

Glenn Morris <address@hidden> writes:

> Thanks for merging it. Now the usual petty griping.. :)

Thanks for your patience in double-checking this.

>> -Copyright @copyright{} 2004--2013 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>> +Copyright @copyright{} 2004--2012 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>
> Wrong-o.

Fixed.

> These changes don't seem to fix bugs and serve no purpose for the Org
> mode that is distributed _with Emacs itself_. The only thing these could
> possibly do at this stage is (inadvertently) introduce bugs in Emacs 24.3.
> I'm not saying to remove the changes, just commenting that this is not
> compatible with the emacs-24 policy.

Yes, I overlooked this while allowing the changes in Org's maint
branch.  All changes have been carefully tested though, and one can
argue (I won't personnally) that improving backward compatibility
with Emacs 22 is in the area of "bug fixing".

I'll be more restrictive next time.

> ChangeLog formatting trivia (applies to several places):
>
>>   * org-agenda.el (org-agenda-get-restriction-and-command): Use
>>   `point-marker'.
>>
>>   * org-capture.el (org-capture-place-template): Ditto.
>>
>>   * org-colview-xemacs.el (org-dblock-write:columnview): Ditto.
>
> Related changes should not be separated by blank lines.
> Also, from admin/notes/changelogs:
>
>     Preferred form for several entries with the same content:
>
>     * help.el (view-lossage):
>     * kmacro.el (kmacro-edit-lossage):
>     * edmacro.el (edit-kbd-macro): Fix docstring, lossage is now 300 keys.
>
>     (Rather than anything involving "ditto" and suchlike.)

I fixed the ChangeLog for this (only for 2013-01-08).

>> -\def\orgversionnumber{7.9.2}
>> -\def\versionyear{2012}          % latest update
>> -\input emacsver.tex
>> +\def\orgversionnumber{7.9.3}
>> +\def\versionyear{2013}          % latest update
>> +\def\year{2013}                 % latest copyright year
>
> That's an (undocumented) reversion of a prior Emacs change (the use of
> emacsver.tex to set \year). I can understand the motivation, but it
> leaves us with more places in Emacs where the copyright year needs to be
> updated. If you don't want to copy emacsver.tex to the Org repo,
> set-copyright in admin/admin.el will need a special entry for
> orgcard.tex.

Fixed, thanks.

>> +** No GPL manual anymore
>> +
>> +There used to be a GPL version of the Org manual, but this is not the
>> +case anymore, the Free Software Foundation does not permit this.
>
> I'd remove that statement from the version in Emacs I were you, because
> that version has never been under GPL. Personally, I would find a more
> neutral phrasing as well. Eg:
>
>   The Org manual is no longer dual-licensed GPL and GFDL, but only GFDL.
>
> (Since this is hiding a whole can of worms.)

Deleted, thanks.

>> +The GNU FDL license is now included in the manual directly.
>
> Not NEWS-worthy IMO.

Deleted too.

Thanks!

--