Re: Unuseful keybindings

From: Sebastien Vauban
Subject: Re: Unuseful keybindings
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2012 22:24:56 +0100

Hi Drew,

"Drew Adams" wrote:
>> As for the <f11> keybinding, AFAICT that is becoming the
>> standard "full screen" key in many applications;
>
> So what?  Many applications are not Emacs.
>
> [...]
>
>> it is good to follow the convention.
>
> Stuff & nonsense.  It is good to look out for Emacs - we are its guardians.
> It
> lives in a world of chaos and convention.  Neither the chaos nor any
> convention
> has special pull, nor should it have.

Let me first thank you for what you provide us with around Emacs world. Your
packages are very useful to me.

Though, I tend to disagree with the above. Just my opinion, not wanting any
war with any of you.

But, I must admit I like conventions, particularly when they're shared. I
would have loved Emacs to share C-x/c/v rules for cut/copy/paste. I'd be glad
there would be some common ground between all the applications out there. How
many times do I press C-y in non-Emacs programs?  I'd accept some
uniformization between apps, even if not better grounded than "like the most
popular app out there, now".

I'm even telling against me, as F11 is bound to `undo' for me, right now...

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban