Re: Dual licensing of Org manual?

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: Dual licensing of Org manual?
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 17:51:09 -0500

Bastien wrote:

> is it possible to get a formal authorization from the FSF to
> dual-license the Org manual with both GNU GPLv3 and GNU FDL 1.3?
>
> Sebastien (cc) is maintaining the Org package for Debian and he
> needs upstream version of Org manuals to be dual-licensed so that
> Debian can distribute the Org manual under GNU GPL.

Already asked and answered by rms

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-06/msg00990.html

    We do not need a solution because we don't have a problem.
    Debian has a problem, and the solution for that is to change their
    policy.

    Please do not make this change; it goes against our licensing
    policies.

Irresistible force, immovable object, etc.

> I see MH-E* is dual-licensing the manual so I expect this must
> be somehow accepted.

True this is anomalous. rms has previously commented on this too

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-06/msg00989.html

Later Bill Wohler reminded rms off-list that it had previously been
agreed (in some previous private discussion IIUC) for mh-e that dual
licensing was ok, so it stands.