Re: Emacs Mac port

From: Donald Curtis
Subject: Re: Emacs Mac port
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2012 08:04:05 -0600

I don't know specifics, but in the home-brew (https://github.com/mxcl/homebrew)
build script for emacs, there is an option `srgb` which does some color fixes
in the NS version,

Specifically, in nsterm,

replace,
"*col = [NSColor colorWithCalibratedRed: r green: g blue: b alpha: 1.0];",

with,
"*col = [NSColor colorWithDeviceRed: r green: g blue: b alpha: 1.0];"

There is something about the calibrated version that made colors look different
than in other versions of emacs, specifically X11. Well, I should say, they
would look different than other programs generating the same color. And you can
test this in OS X by using "DigitalColor Meter",

1. Set a background color in hex,
2. Use "DigitalColor Meter" to get the color from the window.

And you'll see that the color being generated is *not* the color you specified,
well, at least it wasn't on Mac, but maybe this is not an issue on NS.  However
this may be related to some of your struggles with color differences.

Here is the Homebrew bug report:
https://github.com/mxcl/homebrew/pull/5194

And here is the corresponding GNU bug report:

I'm definitely more on the side of doing what the user *expects* (which is to
use colorWithDeviceRed) over what is technically correct (the current way of
using colorWithCalibratedRed). But it hasn't been an issue for me since I use
home-brew and just specify the --srgb compile option.

        Donald