Re: Setting TZ in set_time_zone_rule

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Setting TZ in set_time_zone_rule
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 12:21:58 -0800

On 11/28/12 10:12, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> Is there a good reason why we don't use 'putenv' in
> set_time_zone_rule, and instead manipulate 'environ' directly?

putenv is not not in POSIX 1003.1-1988.  In the
current POSIX standard (2008), putenv is marked as an XSI
extension, which means it's not required for POSIX
conformance.  I don't offhand know of any Emacs porting
target that lacks putenv, though I would not be surprised
if there were one.

One possibility is to have the mainline code assume that
putenv works, and to use the gnulib putenv module for the rare
platforms that lack putenv.