Re: Emacs Windows barebin distribution

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Emacs Windows barebin distribution
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 21:58:15 +0800

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:

> 3. Matthias's suggestion is the best approach, assuming it can be done.
> Certainly the number of users who actually download barebins is an even more
> accurate indication of the need than a user poll would be.

The barebins were only ever useful for the following uses:

  1. Installing over the top of a source distribution without
     downloading the full bin package which has a lot of duplication
     with the source package.  In the days of 33k6 modems, this made
     some sense, but today the value is less obvious.

  2. Redumping Emacs. This use was questionable, as normally if Emacs
     were to be redumped, the user would need to change PURESIZE as
     well, so they would need to recompile everything themselves anyway.

I think today, these files are downloaded more in confusion over which
files are required, than by any deliberate need.  So studying the server
logs might not be as useful as you think.