Re: Emacs24 coding system problems

From: Uday Reddy
Subject: Re: Emacs24 coding system problems
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 19:06:28 +0000

Thanks for all the responses to this problem.

Andreas Schwab writes:

> Maybe you have a non-nil global value of coding-system-for-read, or
> file-coding-system-alist is clobbered somehow.

coding-system-for-read is nil.  file-coding-system-alist looks the same as
the normal.

Eli Zaretskii writes:

> Or maybe the file in question has undecodeable byte sequences.  Do you
> see "t" (which stands for 'raw-text') in the mode line, per chance?

The files are normal unicode text.  But, they appear as sequences of octets,
as if they were visited by find-file-literally.

There is `t' in the modeline.  `buffer-file-coding-system' is getting set to
`no-conversion', whereas normally it is `utf-8-unix'.

These files work fine in Emacs23.  The problems only arise in Emacs24.

Stefan Monnier writes:

> Could you have set coding-system-for-read maybe?

coding-system-for-read is nil.

----

I have made some progress on narrowing down the problem.  It happens only if
VM is used along with emacs-w3m for displaying the HTML content.  Without
emacs-w3m, everything works fine.

Emacs-w3m evidently does a lot of manipulations with coding-systems.  But,
they are only supposed to affect the interaction with the w3m sub-process.
So, it is not clear why they should affect the reading of files.  Indeed, in
Emacs23 they didn't.

If you would like to take a look at what w3m does, here is a linke to the
main file:

  http://cvs.namazu.org/Development/emacs-w3m/w3m.el?view=log

Cheers,
Uday