Re: CEDET non-regression bug fixes

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: CEDET non-regression bug fixes
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 16:16:48 -0500

>>> +  (with-selected-window (get-buffer-window "*Completions*")
>>> +    (if (posn-at-point (point-max))
>>> +   (goto-char (point-min))
>>> +      (scroll-up))))
>> This will signal an error when *Completions* is not displayed anywhere.

Actually, it's worse: it will signal an error when *Completions* is not
displayed in the selected frame.  IOW in my config it will always signal
an error.

> At this stage, there must be a *Completions* buffer, otherwise it's an
> error anyway. But regarding the freeze, I will wrap something around
> that making sure it exists.

I'd rather keep this for trunk:
- it's not safe.
- It's not a regression.
- It's not even a bug fix: it improves behavior more than it fixes a bug.

>>> -              (buff (get-file-buffer file))
>>> +              (buff (find-buffer-visiting file))
>> We need to do something to avoid those problems.  AFAIK there's no
>> reason to ever prefer get-file-buffer over find-buffer-visiting, so
>> maybe we should simply get rid of get-file-buffer and make it an alias
>> of find-buffer-visiting.
> Oh, you have my vote for that.

Great!  How much (time and effort) are you willing to contribute to
my campaign?

> But I have a hunch you won't put this change into the emacs-24 branch,

Huh?  How did you guess?

> so I read this comment as "Fine, please commit". ;-)

Indeed,

        Stefan