Re: Interruptible wait_for_termination

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Interruptible wait_for_termination
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 18:31:31 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> Not to me, it doesn't.  How can Emacs possibly know that this is what
> you want?  What if you have some other process running under Emacs?
> Etc., etc.

Well, `C-g' does kill off most processes that you start with
`call-process':

(call-process "sleep" nil nil nil "10")

Tap `C-g' and it'll say

Waiting for process to die...done
Quit

so it obviously knew what process to kill?  However, certain processes
like "mplayer" will give the dreaded "hit C-g again to kill immediately"
message, and `C-g' will do nothing useful that I can detect in that
situation.  I have to ssh into the TV machine and say "pkill mplayer" to
use Emacs again.

It would have been nicer if the second `C-g' killed immediately.  :-)

> However, are you saying that typing C-g once does not make Emacs
> responsive, so that you could kill the player manually?

Yes.

> IIUC from this thread, if you are on GNU/Linux (or any other system
> that supports USABLE_SIGIO), that C-g should have thrown you to top
> level, assuming that the command in question doesn't inhibit quit.

Perhaps mplayer inhibits that signal or something?  If Emacs is actually
sending that signal?