Re: Interruptible wait_for_termination

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Interruptible wait_for_termination
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 17:52:23 +0200

> From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 06:13:06 +0100
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > What I don't understand here is how can this be "interruptible" when
> > the process specified by PID did not yet exit, and the call to waitpid
> > blocks.
>
> Coincidentally, I've been looking at the same code lately, and not
> getting the point, either.
>
> I run mplayer under Emacs to watch tv (as one does).  Sometimes mplayer
> jams, and I hit `C-g' to kill it.  Emacs helpfully says "hit C-g again
> to kill it immediately", and then the second `C-g' does absolutely
> nothing useful.
>
> Wouldn't it make more sense to have the second `C-g' do a "kill -9"
> instead of what it's doing now?

Not to me, it doesn't.  How can Emacs possibly know that this is what
you want?  What if you have some other process running under Emacs?
Etc., etc.

However, are you saying that typing C-g once does not make Emacs
responsive, so that you could kill the player manually?  IIUC from
this thread, if you are on GNU/Linux (or any other system that
supports USABLE_SIGIO), that C-g should have thrown you to top level,
assuming that the command in question doesn't inhibit quit.