Re: Proposal to improve the nomenclature of scrolling directions

From: Nix
Subject: Re: Proposal to improve the nomenclature of scrolling directions
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2012 14:56:29 +0000

On 5 Nov 2012, Dani Moncayo uttered the following:

>>     What "widely accepted approach"?  Most applications don't have names
>>     for the commands invoked by keys, they just use "PageDown" the key
>>     name.
>>
>> Do they generally agree on which direction "PageDown" should scroll?
>
> Yes.  Popular web browsers and text processors interpret "PageDown" as
> "show the next page".

And people universally refer to it as 'scrolling down'. Of every
application I have used, only Emacs calls the action carried out when
you hit the page down key scrolling *up*. It still confuses me every
time I need to deal with it, and I've been using Emacsen for twenty
years now.

--
NULL && (void)