Re: Docstrings of minor modes are unclear

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Docstrings of minor modes are unclear
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 10:30:14 -0400

> the docstrings of (global) minor modes defined with `define-minor-mode'
> and `define-globalized-minor-mode' are a bit unclear.  Both say:

>   If called from Lisp, enable the mode if ARG is omitted or nil.

> This is only halfway true.

> I've now seen that in the meantime the docstring generated by
> `define-minor-mode' has been made a bit accurate in terms of mentioning
> 'toggle, but it's still not clear.

> Any objections to the following patch?

This ends up duplicating the description (once for the interactive case
and once for the Lisp call case).  I'd rather keep something short, like
we have.
We just need to reword it a bit so as to make it clear that when we say
"If called from Lisp," it doesn't mean that what was said before doesn't
apply, but that *in addition* to what was said before "enable the mode
if ARG is omitted or nil, and toggle it if ARG is `toggle'".

I don't have a good suggestion for how to do that, tho.

        Stefan