Re: Defaults for elisp-mode files

From: Andreas Röhler
Subject: Re: Defaults for elisp-mode files
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2012 21:10:14 +0200

Am 03.10.2012 20:06, schrieb Stefan Monnier:
I'm seeing more and more Elisp files with "-*- lexical-binding: t;
coding: utf-8 -*-" showing up, and I expect them to become the norm in
the longer term.

So I think in the longer term these annotations should be made
unnecessary because they're ugly.
For the `utf-8', I guess we can simply set auto-coding-alist and we
could do that right now without much risk for serious breakage (IOW
I suggest we do that for the next release after 24.3).

But for the lexical-binding setting, it seems less obvious how to handle
such a switch (other than start warning any file which doesn't set it
explicitly to t or nil, and after a while change the default, and after
yet another while remove the warning, the whole process taking probably
more than 10 years).  Any suggestion would be welcome.

         Stefan

It's not nice, but obvious. Being in favour of the present state here.

Using  .dir-locals or other non-related locations would rather obfuscate than
being useful.

Best,

Andreas