Re: Isearch: retrieve last successful search string from when you quit (

From: Nix
Subject: Re: Isearch: retrieve last successful search string from when you quit (`C-g')
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2012 12:37:14 +0100

On 2 Oct 2012, Eli Zaretskii verbalised:

>> From: Nix <address@hidden>
>> Emacs: (setq software-quality (/ 1 number-of-authors))
>> Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2012 12:26:21 +0100
>> Cc: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>,
>>      Drew Adams <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>>
>> Perhaps I'm just an idiot, but I always thought the current
>> isearch behaviour of not immediately quitting when C-g was stuck on a
>> failed search was a *bug*. Only now, after Drew commented on it, do I
>> notice that it's removing the unfound component of the failed search:
>> i.e., it's a feature, but unless you spend your time looking at the echo
>> area while isearching (and who does that?) they'll never notice it.
>
> They could read the manual.

Yeah. I did say that it was documented. That's not the problem. The
problem is that changing the behaviour of C-g to not quit is surprising.
(Nothing else does it, modulo short-term setting of inhibit-quit, and
there is no obvious reason why searching should be different.)

But, as Drew and others have pointed out, this behaviour is easy to
customize -- once you become aware that it's not a simple bug.

--
NULL && (void)