Re: [cedet-semantic] Latest CEDET on BZR does not compile with emacs 24.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [cedet-semantic] Latest CEDET on BZR does not compile with emacs 24.1
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2012 22:28:31 +0200

> From: Vincent Belaïche <address@hidden>
> CC: "address@hidden"
>       <address@hidden>, "address@hidden"
>       <address@hidden>, emacs-devel <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 22:02:37 +0200
>
> > I suggest not to use MSYS at all.
> Is that a general recommendation --- i.e. do not build EMACS with MSYS --- or
> is that a recommendation for CEDET only.

For Emacs in general.  And in fact, for any job that needs Make and
GCC, but does not need running Unixy shells, be it the configure
script or shell snippets inside Makefile's.

>It happens that I could not compile EMACS with MSYS for some time --- is the
>MSYS port abandoned ?

As you can see in nt/INSTALL, using the MSYS shell is not supported by
the Windows Makefile's used to build Emacs.  I occasionally hear
reports that someone succeeded to build using MSYS anyway, so I guess
with enough tweaking it can work.  But it isn't supported.

If the Windows build procedure will ever switch to running the Unix
configure script and the Unix Makefile's, then MSYS will of course be
the recommended way of building Emacs.  But for that, Someone™ will
have to adapt both the configury and the Makefile.in files to the
special needs of the Windows build, such as compiling Windows-only
source files and programs, etc.

> > If the original CEDET Makefile's
> > cannot be changed to not require a Unixy shell,
> The only MSWindows port of GNUMake which I know is the MSYS one. Cygwin is
> not really a Windows port, it is rather some Unixy environment emulation
> under MSWindows.

There's a MinGW port available here:

  http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/MinGW/Extension/make/

(The latest CVS snapshot even supports the job server in parallel
builds, so you can put multi-core machines to good use.)  And you can
easily compile the MinGW port of Make yourself from sources, by
running a single batch file that comes with the sources, you just need
a working compiler installation.

> I tried the Makefile with dmake and here is what it does:

Well, I surely didn't mean to advise you to use dmake ;-)

> > write a separate
> > Windows specific Makefile with equivalent commands, and be done with
> > that.
> I am afraid that the trick which I did is tremendously simpler to do and to
> maintain than what I understood that you are suggesting. I am not going to
> re-write all the CEDET Makefiles just to use an MSWindows make engine.

From what I saw, it's not very hard, if at all needed.  Just try the
MinGW Make and see where it fails, if at all.

>I've  read from David that those Makefiles are generated by EDE, so if ever
>there was something to do, it would be better to upgrade EDE to generates
>those MSWindows makefile, or anything working well under MSWindows without the
>need for a Unixy shell (e.g. ant build.xml files). Anyhow, CEDET can be built
>with some lisp only script that will be soon fixed, so even this thing is not
>needed.

That is probably the best option.