Re: Elisp native profiler

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Elisp native profiler
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2012 22:11:46 -0700

On 10/02/2012 06:03 AM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> What is an "overrun" exactly?  Is it when the signal gets blocked
> because we're still in the signal handler?

Close.  It's when a signal gets discarded because the
same signal is already pending; this can occur when
the signal is being blocked, and the signal can be
blocked because we're in the signal handler.

It's the performance figures, not the overruns, that
were the real eye-opener.  Going with a 1 ms sampling
interval made Emacs 3x slower.  Going with 10 ms made
Emacs run nearly at full speed.  That's a strong argument
for going with 10 ms.