RE: Isearch: retrieve last successful search string from when you quit (

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Isearch: retrieve last successful search string from when you quit (`C-g')
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2012 08:40:52 -0700

> When I hit C-g, it means "I don't want to operate at the search
> position, I was just looking for something and now I'm ready to go
> back to where I was."

Precisely.  "I was just looking for something" and I didn't really want to move
there - just now at least.

And you perhaps have no idea at that time whether you might want to repeat that
looking later, or even perhaps move to one of the search hits.

The question (between the two proposals) is whether to record all such abandoned
searches or just the last one.

More precisely (because we could, if we wanted, create additional search rings
for this), it is whether to record such abandoned searches in the regular search
rings or separately.  Should they be mixed in with the accepted/used searches?

> > I doubt if you would really love it, in practice.  But it
> > is simple for you to try it, to see. ...
>
> That's your speculation :) I'm just putting my two cents in for what
> works best for my (perhaps eccentric, but that's none of your
> business!) workflow.  Since there is a difference in opinion, a user
> configurable flag is what I would advocate for.

Why don't you try it?  Try both.