Re: The emacs_backtrace "feature"

From: Nix
Subject: Re: The emacs_backtrace "feature"
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 10:29:26 +0100

On 24 Sep 2012, Stephen J. Turnbull verbalised:

> Nix writes:
>
>  > Those [distros] that aren't redirecting [core dumps] through a
>  > piped program (which is most of them)
>
> By "most of them", I take it you mean "Red Hat derivatives" or
> something like that, as neither my Debian system nor my Gentoo system
> does this

Ubuntu does, RH and all derivatives do. That covers a huge proportion of
distros right there. I suspect that all distros will eventually start
doing it because it means they can convert core files into compressed
coredumps, saving lots of room (which is not the same as gzipping them).

It also means you don't end up with corefiles scattered across the disk
because you can put them in one central place if you want to, though
that's not why RH or Ubuntu do it.

> I stand by my original suggestion: documenting the ulimit command
> takes up only one line, and may be useful to many users if their crash
> is easily reproducible

Oh, I agree. It just might not do anything. :)

--
NULL && (void)