Re: Release tags

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Release tags
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2012 20:24:36 +0200

Jason Rumney <address@hidden> writes:

> No use of a tag that I have ever seen was for a revision. It was for the
> state of the source tree at that point in time. Release tags especially.
>
> If there are multiple Emacs 24.2 tags in the repository, how is one
> supposed to know which is the real Emacs 24.2?

Any of them will do, because the revision (and hence the tag) determines
the complete state of the source tree.

Plus the complete VC history that precedes that revision. So if the
emacs-24 branch were magically lost, it could be partially recovered (VC
history included) from any other branch that contains a merged revision
that comes from emacs-24. (Partially means "except the revisions
committed after the emacs-24 revision you have at hand.")