Re: random doesn't feel very random, random doesn't feel very random, Re

From: Ivan Kanis
Subject: Re: random doesn't feel very random, random doesn't feel very random, Re: random doesn't feel very random
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2012 09:46:12 +0200

"Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Ivan Kanis writes:
>  > "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>  > > To avoid this behavior, use `(random t)'
>  >
>  > I do.
>
> Where?   I don't see it in your `ivan-emms-pick-album' function

I call it once in the callee function ivan-emms-random-album. I attached
the source again.

> this will only help across Emacs sessions; within one session the
> random function should maintain state across calls to your function,
> so it should give different sequences every time as long as you never
> exist Emacs.

I exit emacs everyday, would that have an effect on the randomness?
Should I save the seed somewhere to have better result?

> Unfortunately the attachment seems to have been stripped so I don't
> know what might be going wrong in `ivan-emms-list-subdir' or the code
> that calls `ivan-emms-pick-album'.  (Probably nothing, but I can't
> review it.)

I have put the code source on my web site in case the attachment gets
stripped again:

http://ivan.kanis.fr/ivan-emms.el

> If you do `M-x (ivan-emms-list-subdir (concat ivan-emms-dir "FOO")) RET'
> (with some value for FOO that actually exists and contains albums),
> does the answer look right?

It looks good:

(length (ivan-emms-list-subdir (concat ivan-emms-dir "music"))) => 769
--
Ivan Kanis
http://ivan.kanis.fr

An open foe may prove a curse,