Re: C backtraces for Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: C backtraces for Emacs
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 19:01:42 +0300

> Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 02:24:31 -0700
> From: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
> Cc: Juanma Barranquero <address@hidden>, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>,
>       address@hidden
>
> I'll hold off installing this to give Eli and Juanma a heads-up, as it
> creates a new substitute header <execinfo.h> on non-GNUish systems,
> and the Windows build will need to do something similar.  If I understand
> things correctly Windows already does backtraces in a different way, so
> its execinfo.h can just be a copy of execinfo.in.h.

I'm not sure what you mean.  An assertion violation on Windows calls a
function that displays an abort dialogue, giving the user a chance to
attach a debugger.  If the user does attach a debugger, she can then
display a backtrace from the debugger.  There's no other facility to
display a backtrace on Windows that I'm aware of.