Re: aplus mode

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: aplus mode
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 17:57:27 -0400

> Aplus (a gnu/linux APL variant) has been one of the languages that
> runs only on XEmacs but not GNU-Emacs.  Recently XEmacs has been
> giving some trouble compiling under Debian (it seems).
> I have hacked up something which makes Aplus run with GNU-Emacs:
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/AplInDebian
> Is this a suitable forum for discussions towards cleaning up that code?

Sure.  Especially if you intend to include it in GNU ELPA.
Since Markus has already signed the needed copyright paperwork,
and it doesn't look like the code has seen many external contributions,
inclusion in GNU ELPA should be fairly easy.

As for cleaning up the code, I suggest you start by defining a major
mode for APL code.  See sample-mode.el for an example.
This mode would most likely enable the apl input method by default.

BTW, I see that Markus's APL input method is very different from the one
used in the XEmacs code (I'm not talking about the way it works, which
is different for good reasons, but about the choice of what to type in
order to get a given symbol).  I think the two can live together.

        Stefan