Re: Emacs insists on starting dbus?

From: Harald Hanche-Olsen
Subject: Re: Emacs insists on starting dbus?
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 20:16:44 +0200 (CEST)

[Michael Albinus <address@hidden> (2012-07-31 17:49:49 UTC)]

> Since you have disabled dbus by configure option, dbusbind.c shouldn't
> be linked with the emacs binary.

Okay. Not sure how to make sure it didn't ... I am not too familiar
with gnu/linux, coming from the freebsd world myself.

> You might try to find which processes on the remote host run under D-Bus
> control, started by emacs. Something like this:
>
> # sudo grep -l DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS /proc/*/environ
> # ps -p <pid>     ### for all returned pid's

I find /usr/lib/libgconf2-4/gconfd-2 (plus a bunch of processes owned
by other users on the server).

> It isn't a feature. But it looks like a side-effect of a third party
> library linked with emacs. I see the following options to handle:
>
> - If we know which service(s) autostart D-Bus, we might find a way to
>   suppress them.

So gconf(d) looks like a prime suspect?

> - The default way to suppress autostart is configuring D-Bus sources
>   with --disable-x11-autolaunch before compilation. But I guess you
>   don't compile D-Bus yourself, it isn't a real option, therefore.

You're right about that one.

> - You could try to start emacs remotely with an invalid address, like
>
>   env DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS="invalid address" emacs --daemon ...
>
>   According to the spec, autolaunch is activated only when
>   $DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS is unset. Maybe dbus-launch returns an error
>   then, which is ignored. Not very elegant, but maybe working.

Didn't change anything.

- Harald