Re: web-mode.el

From: Steinar Bang
Subject: Re: web-mode.el
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 10:41:14 +0200

> On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 9:45 AM, Chong Yidong <address@hidden> wrote:

>> The major mode should derive from either prog-mode or text-mode (not
>> sure which is better), rather than fundamental mode.

> Ok. But I have a question. Is it a convention ? Is it necessary ?

Your mode will then inherit settings for text-mode.  Ie. it will run
text-mode-hook and respect all text-mode variables.

For me this is currently just setting auto-fill-mode to "1", but it used
to include iso-accents-mode.  It is convenient to set common settings
like this for all modes used to write human readable text (text-mode,
XML mode(s), email buffers, and version control commit buffers).