question about this-command and friends.

From: Thierry Volpiatto
Subject: question about this-command and friends.
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 12:54:17 +0200

Hi,
`this-command' return the value of the last function used inside a
command.

I would like to have the value of the real command from any place inside
the function.
this-command doesn't provide this as it is altered during the evaluation
of different forms:

(defun foo ()
  (interactive)
  this-command => foo
  (let ((a (read-string "test: "))
        (b (read-string "test: ")))
    this-command => exit-minibuffer))

What I expect is something that return 'foo' and not exit-minibuffer.

Of course when writing my own functions, I can let-bound this-command
to old--this-command like described in manual and access it at anytime,
but this doesn't help for function that already exists.

So did I miss something to get this value or this is something missing
to elisp.

If so, it would be really nice to have this feature, of course with another
name for compatibility with old code.
e.g

(defun foo ()
  (interactive)