Re: Emacs on OS X development

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: Emacs on OS X development
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 17:15:03 +0900

>> The Mac port uses CF for that purpose only on older versions of Mac
>> OS X.  For newer versions, it uses Grand Central Dispatch instead:
>>
>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2012-01/msg00035.html
>>
>> I'm not sure about the recent situation, but I remember neither of
>> them was (widely, at least) available on GNUstep.

> No, CF is not available on GNUStep. I planned to use a modified
> version of the current loop, that removes the timeout. After some
> experiments it seems that this gives you almost all the performance
> gains. I'm going to try on a slower machine also.  If it looks good
> then we might as well skip CF.

Solving a problem with the NS port in a way that doesn't work on
GNUstep sounds really bad, so it would be nice if CF can be skipped.

> There is still the problem why the NS-port does not redraw during
> resize.

The Mac port does that, as long as no modifier keys are pressed during
resize.  As Mac OS X 10.7 introduced resizing from non-corner edges,
which can also initiate "move" rather than "resize" depending on the
initial drag direction, the code will become much more complicated if
the current strategy in the NS port is inherited.

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden