Re: Emacs on OS X development

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Emacs on OS X development
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 10:45:15 -0400

On Tue, 24 Jul 2012 16:04:50 +0300 Pavlo Martynenko <address@hidden> wrote:

PM> On 23 Jul 2012, at 21:57, Ted Zlatanov wrote:

TZ>     Do you compile your own binaries, for instance?

PM> Yes.

Could you provide the configure invocation you use and the summary of
libraries used?

PM>     Do you have problems with some specific network connections?

PM> Yes in slow and bad networks. It looks like after loosing some packets
PM> comes problem with C-g, and the only way was to killall -9 Emacs.

Using what package(s) to create the connections?  GnuTLS or plain connections?

TZ>     As far as "ugly" I have no opinion, and haven't noticed font
TZ>     issues or other visual problems. The NS port's functionality has
TZ>     been all right for me, especially keyboard entry,
TZ>     multiprocessing, and networking.

PM> Did you noticed that NS port is just fine only for those who never
PM> tried Mac Port, and those who are not using OS X every day?

Again, I don't claim there is no problem, only that I haven't
experienced the problems others have.  I would like us all to figure out
common things between our environments that contribute to the
reported instability of the NS port.

To answer your implied question, yes I have tried the Mac port, and yes
I use OS X (and the NS port on it) every day.  But with the Inconsolata
font at 18 pt size, I don't see visual issues and ugliness.

I can't say I care much for dictionary definitions and two-finger buffer
switching (I use helm and `C-x b'), but I see your point and hope
Mitsuharu-san's work can benefit all Emacs users on Mac OS X
eventually.  These are neat native features; my only concern is that
they take work to implement and lock users into a non-free platform.
I'd rather see features that benefit all Emacs users on all platforms.

I do think the best way forward is to merge the NS port and the Mac port
in a way that makes the NS port developers and Mitsuharu-san willing to
keep contributing.  In other words, rather than trying to "pick A over
B," let's find a way to have everyone work together to improve Emacs.

Ted