Re: Emacs on OS X development

From: chad
Subject: Re: Emacs on OS X development
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2012 15:11:45 -0700

On Jul 15, 2012, at 2:34 PM, Donald Curtis wrote:

> All of these issues have been reported

Thanks for reporting these problems!

> Anyways, my point want to commend the work and put in my vote for the mac
> version.

Do you use a relocatable .app bundle, or does your mac version scatter lots of
stuff around /usr/local?  This latter is a pet peeve of mine that I had
surprising trouble avoiding.

> I guess the only thing I can do is attempt to try an merge in the changes,
> but it sounds like people more educated on the matter myself have tried and
> failed.

I don't think that anyone has put much effort into trying this; for myself, I
tried to see if it was easy, and it wasn't.  I imagine that it's not actually
very hard, but I don't have the time to dedicate to an effort beyond `easy'
right now.  It will surely require time to either dig into the differences or
experimentation to figure out how to deal with the many conflicts, but I don't
think it requires pre-existing advanced knowledge of emacs or macosx; just time
and attention.

> It seems like merging the two may be worse though, possibly what we need is a
> special branch, one that is supported by the project?

I don't know that many people see a value to adding a bzr branch for
non-mergable code at this point.  Secretly, I suspect that many of the people
who are interested in merging the wo branches would prefer to work from git
while they're merging, but that's entirely supposition on my part (based on how
many people are shadowing Yamamoto-san's tree in git).

Lest I be confusing based on not having time to shorten the message further:  I
believe that this is a useful area for expending energy, and it doesn't require
an overly large amount of expertise, but it also isn't trivial or simple.
Thanks in advance if you find time and energy to work on it!

*Chad