Re: Emacs on OS X development

From: Paul Michael Reilly
Subject: Re: Emacs on OS X development
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 20:57:08 -0400

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 8:23 PM, John Wiegley <address@hidden> wrote:

>> back to nsport. The difference is that noticeable. We have been hoping the
>> nsport get better. It seems 3 years have passed.

> Waiting ain't gonna fix it, indeed.

Stefan, I want to bring up again the possibility of switching the Mac port
over to Yamamoto's code.  Is there any reason not to?  I just tried the ns
port again, and within minutes couldn't tolerate it:

 1. The colors are washed out, compared to Mac-Port.

 2. The leading on Courier is all wrong.  Example: The pixels from the top of
    capital letters run into the mode-line.  I need to set line-spacing to 3
    just to make text look decent.

 3. If I switch to *scratch* and turn on flyspell, I can out-type Emacs very
    easily, the lag is that bad.

Why are we sticking with the ns port again, when Yamamoto has been so active
in keeping the Mac-Port patch maintained?

This sounds strange to me.  I've been compiling the devel source on my Mac Mini and thinking that it was as good as it gets.   So I have two questions:

1) Can someone summarize the pros and cons of each approach to give those of us who care a chance to weigh in, and

2) Are there any prebuilt binaries for the alternative Mac approach that I can try out?

fwiw, my experience with using MacPorts and other Mac package suppliers has been less than joyful.  To be brutally honest I found it to be a royal pain in the butt.  But if the benefit of overcoming the pain yields a substantial Emacs reward, then I will gladly give it another shot.

-pmr