Re: web-mode.el

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: web-mode.el
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 05:00:23 +0400

On 18.06.2012 5:49, Stefan Monnier wrote:
Yes, well, except js-indent-line calls (widen) first thing, so
(narrow-to-region) will not help.

As mentioned earlier, we get to choose the supported interface, so if
`widen' can't be supported, we just need to change js-indent-line.
I wouldn't worry about it.

I though the idea was to do something or other while retaining backward compatibility. From what I understand, `widen' is used to counteract the situation when a user calls `narrow-to-region' interactively.
If supporting this is not a priority, okay.

It occurs to me that, once the supported interface is established, introducing new syntax-table value becomes not strictly necessary because, for example, a version of Lennart's `with-chunks' macro can be implemented in Lisp by applying whitespace or comment-starter/ender syntax to foreign chunks around the body calls (idea from mmm-noweb).
Is that right?