Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r108646: * minibuffer.el (read-fi

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r108646: * minibuffer.el (read-file-name-default): Bind `non-essential' to `t'.
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 18:47:15 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> Here's a recipe to reproduce the problem (revert the patch in
>> minibuffer.el first):
>> emacs -Q -l icomplete -f icomplete-mode
>> C-x C-f /ssh:localhost:/ <TAB>
>
> I don't see any problem here.  Tramp requests a password, as expected
> and as it should (since the user hit TAB, she clearly wants completion).

As Drew said, it might disturb users. It wouldn't be necessary, if the
default check wouldn't be `file-exsists-p', which provokes the password
request. Something like

(or (file-remote-p fn) (file-exists-p fn))

should be better (again, I don't know where to change).

Or we spend a customer option for this, which will be the bound value
of `non-essential' in `read-file-name-default'.

>         Stefan

Best regards, Michael.