Re: Using cl in rst.el and elsewhere

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Using cl in rst.el and elsewhere
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2012 12:12:34 +0900

Leo <address@hidden> writes:
> We are already using CLOS (in the form of EIEIO), so the elisp lib cl.el
> really has been unfairly treated for such a long time because it was put
> into emacs too ahead of time and because of rms's dislike of CL (the
> language). Also putting a cl- in front of everything merely reminds
> people of Common Lisp. Can we just think of cl.el as some good ideas
> stolen from Common Lisp and forget about it hereafter.

Well cl.el certainly isn't common-lisp, that's for sure...

Unfortunately, it seems that a goal of cl.el was to sorta-kinda give an
_illusion_ of being CL.  It seems a lot of the ugliness of cl.el is tied
up in that attempt, and the result is such a tangled ball of hair that
teasing out clean subsets doesn't seem trivial.

-miles

--
/\ /\
(^.^)