Re: package.el autoload extra directories

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: package.el autoload extra directories
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 21:48:19 -0400

>   1. Make `update-directory-autoloads' look for a dynamic variable which
>      tells it to work recursively. There could be a variable like
>      `update-directory-autoloads-recursive' which, when non-nil, would
>      cause `update-directory-autoloads' to dive into subdirectories.

An alternative would be to add a new function that works recursively.

>   2. Add an option to `define-package' which lists extra elisp source
>      directories for which to generate autoloads. This might look like

That makes more sense to me.  Especially since most likely you wouldn't
want the top-level to be added to the load-path.  So rather than
`extra-src' you'd just want to list the source directories to use (with
"." being the default).

> I can write a proof-of-concept for package.el if people think it is
> worth exploring.

Please do,

        Stefan