RE: C-h C-b to view "Reporting Bugs" section of the manual

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: RE: C-h C-b to view "Reporting Bugs" section of the manual
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 12:22:53 +0900

Drew Adams writes:

 > In GNU Emacs -Q, `C-h C-f' is `view-emacs-FAQ'.

Now there's a wasted keystroke IMHO.  YMMV.

 > Gnu Emacs has no command `Info-elisp-ref'.

Ah, the beauty of "technical differences"!

 > That's XEmacs, and it apparently looks only in the Elisp
 > manual.

True.  That would not be hard to generalize (in fact, it would seem
you have already done the work), but it could be expensive (eg, if you
generalize it to the point of checking all available Info files' nodes
and indexes, which apparently some user configurations might do).

 > GNU Emacs has `Info-goto-emacs-command-node', which is bound to `C-h F'.

Ah, XEmacs reverses those bindings (a choice I think is marginally
better since Info-elisp-ref is more frequently useful and should be
easier to invoke).

 > But it looks only in the Emacs manual, and it looks only for commands.

As I say, not hard to generalize (technically; there might be
substantial opposition on grounds of taste since Emacs seems to prefer
narrowly-targeted commands here, also in C-h a).

 > Anyway, as you say:
 >
 > > Links are more discoverable
 >
 > Discoverable?  Well, that's one way of putting it!

No, that is the technical term for it in usability work.  You know
that.

 > Why don't you look at the thread I cited, or even at the patches?

Because I'm not interested in the patch, I'm interested in improved
bug reporting.  If you want to advocate a general patch, fine -- but
don't trash me for hewing to the topic (see subject, preserved
unchanged from your post).