Re: emacs save/restore state?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: emacs save/restore state?
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 10:38:38 -0400

> True.  This wishlist occurs to me, to keep in mind when looking for
> a solution:
> 1. Factoring out some code commonality would be good (modulo other wishes).
> 2. Users should be able to save histories without necessarily saving
>    all the other desktop stuff.
> 3. Users should be able to save other desktop stuff without
>    necessarily saving histories.
> 4. Users can save multiple desktops, which should be able to have
>    different saved histories.  IOW, a given history variable, e.g.,
>    `file-name-history', could have a different saved value in
>    different desktops.

Agreed.  I think the way forward is to restructure the code so
desktop.el can use savehist-mode (e.g. so it can tell it where/when to
save the history).

There's a similar issue with saveplace.el (again, with slightly
different semantic but no good reason why saveplace.el can't provide the
needed flexibility for desktop.el to use it and let the user choose
between the usual desktop.el semantics or the usual saveplace.el
semantics).

        Stefan