Re: Printing

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: Printing
Date: Tue, 08 May 2012 11:15:25 +0900

>> Actually, the primary motivation of introducing a cairo terminal
>> was to support the generation of PDF data from the buffer contents
>> directly using the Emacs redisplay engine, even from a tty session
>> (i.e., without X server running), rather than supporting multiple
>> window systems.  Showing a print dialog, sending the output to a
>> printer, etc. will need another library or something, perhaps in a
>> window-system dependent way.
>>
>> Do you possibly have some idea of "abstraction on a higher level"?

> Ah, I see. Did you consider the printing already available in
> nXhtml?  This makes html pages from buffers (and also from frames
> for other purposes).

I've heard of the conversion from a buffer contents to html, but I
didn't know that it also supports the conversion from a frame.

Yes, conversion to html is useful and handy for many purposes.
Although the direct use of the Emacs redisplay engine in printing via
cairo has its strength in reproducibility of some peculiarities such
as compositions in Emacs display features, if people don't need them
in printing so much, then it might be rather overkill.

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden