Re: menu system in recent Emacs?

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: menu system in recent Emacs?
Date: Wed, 02 May 2012 17:34:38 -0400

On Wed, 02 May 2012 14:00:58 -0400 Eric Schulte <address@hidden> wrote:

ES> Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:
>> On Wed, 02 May 2012 20:52:35 +0200 Tassilo Horn <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
TH> Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:
TZ> What's a good multiple-choice menu library in Emacs?
>>
TH> What about the `widget' library which is used by customize?
>>
>> That's nice for UI work, but really complicated for just choosing one of
>> 3-10 options, and it doesn't pop up a temporary buffer like `tmm-prompt'.
>>

ES> You may not want to (require 'org), but the following is my favorite
ES> multiple-choice prompt.

ES>   (org-icompleting-read
ES>    "Pick a color: "
ES>    '("red" "white" "blue" "black" "brown"))

That uses `completing-read' if ido-mode and iswitchb are not enabled.

I like `completing-read'.  But it doesn't show the list of choices by
default, which will be confusing to users.  Also it's hard to insert
explanatory text, in this case "these are the entries from
`auth-sources' where you can save your new auth entry".  Can that be
done somehow?  I don't see a way.

Ted