Re: Does CEDET work?

From: Philipp Haselwarter
Subject: Re: Does CEDET work?
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 20:14:25 +0200

This is what most of the folks that see me using Emacs for C code (which
is arguably the language best supported by CEDET) want to have for
/their/ setup. Apart from a functioning CEDET, auto-complete is *very*
appealing visually and a for many (novice-) users a more attractive way
to be presented with context-completion than a completion-buffer
(actually the interface is provided by popup.el). It'd be nice to have
this in stock Emacs.

As Eric has pointed out himself, the entry barrier is quite high though
and support for other languages often requires difficult customizations
(if possible at all).

A better integration by default for some of the most-used languages
would increase Emacs's usefulness tremendously for the majority of
people writing code, which in my understanding is the main purpose of
Emacs. The framework is there, now it needs some love and attention from
the core people. A stronger endorsement might also lead a to better
integration with external tools that now write their own glue-code to
tie into Emacs (eg. rope, to stick with Eric's Python example). The same
is true for language modes.
Providing a unified entry point is important to make the features these
tools provide accessible.

Without raising the question what Emacs wants to be or can be, I think
this is an area that could use some more attention and dev-time.

--
Philipp Haselwarter