Re: Does CEDET work?

From: Nix
Subject: Re: Does CEDET work?
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 13:50:52 +0100

On 19 Apr 2012, Les Harris said:
> And lest you think that setup required extensive, painstaking
> configuration I present to you the sum total of my CEDET specific
> configuration:
>
> ;; Semantic
> (global-semantic-idle-completions-mode t)
> (global-semantic-decoration-mode t)
> (global-semantic-highlight-func-mode t)
> (global-semantic-show-unmatched-syntax-mode t)

So I just tried this. Random headers (e.g. stdlib.h, but not stdio.h)
were promptly highlighted in the
semantic-decoration-on-unparsed-includes face; other headers that
required -I flags to be added to the include path (e.g. glib.h) got
highlighted in the semantic-decoration-on-unparsed-includes face.
The latter I could fix with semantic-customize-system-include-path,
but the former was harder to fix.

Digging about in the info files, I found this:

,----
| 2.2.4 Create System Databases
| -----------------------------
|
| If your supported language stores the system libraries in readily
| available parsable source code, you can pre-generate database files for
| them once, which will be used over and over for tools such as
| summary-mode, or the analyzer.
|
|  -- Command: semanticdb-create-ebrowse-database dir
|      Create an EBROWSE database for directory DIR.  The database file
|      is stored in ~/.semanticdb, or whichever directory is specified by
|      `semanticdb-default-system-save-directory'.
`----

Great! I thought. A shame that function doesn't exist, nor does any
plausible replacement for it. I have no idea when Semantic built its
cache for /usr/include, nor why stdio.h didn't get included, nor how to
force it to rebuild anything.

But even despite this, Semantic is wonderful, ever so much better than
it was years ago when I looked at it last. I'll definitely be using it
constantly in future.

One other mode not mentioned:

(global-semantic-mru-syntax-mode t)

lets you hit C-x B to go back to any previous function / tag that you've
edited, with the most-frequently-changed stuff at the top of the list.
*This* is a feature that I've never seen any other editor provide, and
is seriously useful.

One other feature not mentioned: C-x , G gives you a *very* nice menu
for the current tag, far nicer than that in the Emacs package provided
by e.g. GNU global (which C-x , G can interact with, and which is itself
better by miles than the standard tagging tools in my opinion).

--
NULL && (void)