Re: Kickstarter for Emacs

From: Ivan Andrus
Subject: Re: Kickstarter for Emacs
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 18:10:09 +0200

Forgot to reply to the list.

On Apr 19, 2012, at 3:50 AM, Chong Yidong wrote:

> Ivan Andrus <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> How much would it cost me to get the python modes combined into one?
>
> We cannot use python-mode.el because its copyright is not assigned to
> the FSF.
>
> The good news is that Fabian Gallina's python.el, which apparently works
> extremely well, is landing in trunk soon.

Gaaa!  Will it be replacing the current python.el?  In a backwards compatible
way?

The reason I ask is that I help maintain sage-mode [1] which is based on the
current python.el.  However, I know some people like python-mode.el, so I would
like to support it.  But I'd rather not add a whole compatibility layer myself.
 Not to mention that the two cannot coexist in a single Emacs since they both
define `python-mode'. I fail to see how adding YAPM is going to help my
situation.  A similar situation occurred why I and others tried to add python
support to expand-region [2].  They finally got something working but it was
more trouble that it needed to be.

Of course, I will probably have about as much success asking that Emacs and
XEmacs merge.  :-)

-Ivan

[1] https://bitbucket.org/ncalexan/sage-mode
[2] https://github.com/magnars/expand-region.el