Re: Kickstarter for Emacs

From: Andreas Röhler
Subject: Re: Kickstarter for Emacs
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 21:44:17 +0200

Am 18.04.2012 21:04, schrieb aaditya sood:
Ivan Andrus<darthandrus<at>  gmail.com>  writes:

How much would it cost me to get the python modes combined into one?
Ideally being backwards compatible with your python-mode of choice.
This is a perfect project I think because it's a large initial
undertaking but no additional maintenance work would be necessary once
it's done.  If nothing else we could use the money to pay people to
not use different modes.

I would happily contribute $200 towards project for out-of-box python
completion and structure parsing. Semantic and cedet, while great, are
slow for large projects and make emacs perceptively slow.

the first is already in the pipe, with several bug-reports around.

As for the structure parsing some specification is useful.

Please make a Blueprint for your requests at

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/python-mode

Thanks,

Andreas

Really good support for multiple modes is another that would get lots
of backers I think.  I certainly don't have the expertise to even
speculate on how hard it would be, but I would be willing to pitch in
some money for it if I thought it would actually get done well.  I say
that not to disparage mmm-mode and friends, but I think it has to be
taken into account at a very low level.

This is another pet peeve. Especially for writing html with css,
javascript and mako.  nxhtml-mode is pretty cool, but again makes
emacs slow. I'd like some support in core emacs, which would be
hopefully faster.

--
aaditya