Kickstarter for Emacs

From: Tom
Subject: Kickstarter for Emacs
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 07:08:37 +0000 (UTC)

I wonder if it would be possible to fund adding new features, improvements
to emacs using kickstarter. In case of Emacs most developers work on it
for free as far as I know and people usually work on features they personally
need and there is usually not enough motivation to work on complex features
which need a lot of tinkering (for example, zero config C++/Java completion,
refactoring comparable to the level what Eclipse/Visual Studio provides).

Recently there were quite a few successful fundraises on Kickstarter and
currently there is a project for implementing an IDE too:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/306316578/light-table

What if someone would think up a project (like out of the box
Eclipse-level Java completion/refactoringin emacs) and start a fundraising
for that, so he (maybe together with others) can work on it full time for,
say, half a year or a year?

I wonder if there be would be enough backers to implement such features
in emacs. Could it be an alternative model for funding Emacs development?
(Of course, the code should be GPL and stuff, so it would be released
to the community when the project is completed.)

The point of the model is that people don't make generic contributions
to some organization, but they fund actual features which they care
about, so they are more motivated to donate some money. And the amount
does not need to be a large sum, it can even be a few dollars if
enough people donates for the cause.

There were successes with this model on Kickstarter and knowing the
enthusiasm of Emacs users it may work for Emacs too.

(Kickstart itself is not the point, the model is.)