Re: .info files

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: .info files
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 12:15:15 +0300

> From: Chong Yidong <address@hidden>
> Cc: Glenn Morris <address@hidden>,  address@hidden
> Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 16:04:14 +0800
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Thank you for sharing ;-)  I must be missing something, because I
> > don't see how this list is relevant to the 8+3 issue.  That's why I
> > said that I'd like to see the implementation in order to figure out
> > whether something special is needed for MS-DOS.
>
> Won't these filenames fail on DOS?
>
> calc.info
> calc.info-1
> calc.info-2

"Fail" in what way?  Can you be more specific about the problems you
envision, especially in the context of visiting Info files with
commands such as "C-x C-f" or similar?

Btw, these files don't exist in the Emacs's info/ directory.  I see
there 'calc', 'calc-1', 'calc-2' etc. instead, both in the DOS build,
the Windows build, and the GNU/Linux build.

I have no idea why Glenn has them with these extensions; e.g.,
doc/misc/calc.texi clearly says

  @setfilename ../../info/calc