Re: GSoC projects related to Emacs

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: GSoC projects related to Emacs
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2012 22:23:24 -0400

> Here are the current GSoC projects related to Emacs:
> ,----[ Guile-Emacs ]
> |
> | Use libguile as the basis for Emacs's Lisp implementation and begin
> | replacing the Elisp interpreter with Guile
> |
> | http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2012/bpt/23002
> `----

This is a very interesting long-term project.

While I don't think moving away from Elisp is very high priority for
Emacs right now, I do hope we can "subcontract" the interpreter/compiler
implementation to some other project such as Guile.  So this project is
very useful in this context.  Getting rid of the current interpreter
will probably require a lot of work, so the hard part of this GSoC will
be to come up with good intermediate steps.

> ,----[ GNU Emacs Native Profiler ]
> | The goal of this project is to provide a native profiler to GNU Emacs,
> | which helps developers to optimize their code and also helps users to
> | find hot-spots of their environments.
> |
> | http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2012/m2ym/1
> `----

This is a very interesting short-term project that I'd be happy to supervise.
It's easy to divide it into steps, each one of them simple and useful,
and it's easy to add more steps if time permits (time-based sampling,
malloc-based sampling, different kinds and amounts of data being
sampled, different ways to start/stop the sampling, different ways to
analyze&display the resulting data, ...).

        Stefan